Cottages United Program
Cottages United directly addresses the growing issue of seniors who are at risk of homelessness. We have created plans for an intentional community of small, safe, affordable homes that are tastefully designed and supported by the surrounding Swegle community.
- Build Affordable, Safe, and Sustainable Housing
- Initial Priority for Seniors, Women and Veterans
- Monthly combined cost for rental and utilities of no more than $500
- Meet Building/Energy Codes and ADA Standards
- Durable and Functional as well as Cost Effective Construction
- Easily Replicable/Multiple Communities
Many older Oregonians are entitled to Social Security benefits. However, these benefits (currently $1,550.48 average for an individual*) remain well below the poverty line and often fail to cover the cost of housing. Truthfully, a senior person relying on benefits cannot afford housing at the Free Market Rate anywhere in the country.
Solution & Impact
We have purchased four lots on Market Street near Swegle Elementary. Plans are underway to build 25 cottages with community spaces for seniors to gather.